New member, head unit key1 and key2 signal resolution

Start here by introducing yourself. Tell us about your car, Android headunit setup, and what you're excited to discuss. Or say 'Hi' to introduce yourself. It is a good way to break the ice and make your first post
chrisring

How much RAM is fitted: 2 GB
ROM: 64 GB
Cores: (4) Quad-core
MCU Processor: 8227L
Screen Size: 9"
Brand or Make: Roinvou
Model: 8227L
Custom Fit or Universal DIN?: Custom Fit
Vehicle: Camry

New member, head unit key1 and key2 signal resolution

New member here.
I just installed a 2X64G unit in my 2004 Camry. Everything seems to work well, but i am having trouble with universal wireless steering wheel remote controls functioning.
First control I tried had two pods of 5 buttons each. The Android unit would only detect a signal from one of the pods. I ordered a replacement and had the exact same problem.
Swapping key1 and key2 had no effect on which pod the Android unit responded to leading me to suspect the problem is with the controller.
So I ordered a third controller of a different model.
This model controller also sports two pods of 5 buttons each. This time though, the Android detects 3 buttons on one pod and 2 buttons on the other.
Measuring resistance to ground on all these controllers, both models seem to output similarly in that one 5 button pod outputs to key1, and the other 5 button pod outputs to key2.
All this causes me to believe that key1 and key2 inputs to the Android unit have electrical continuity, but there is an issue with signal recognition in the head unit itself.
FWIW, the head unit specs claim up to 12 functions can be selected. Of the 50 or so functions on the menu, each one does respond to the command buttons on the controllers that do work.
I joined this forum to find out if this is a common issue and is it reasonable to expect to get all 10 control inputs to function.
All other functions of the unit seem to work flawlessly.
AstroBoy

How much RAM is fitted: I don't know
ROM: Other
MCU Processor: I don't know
Screen Size:

Re: New member, head unit key1 and key2 signal resolution

Hi

You don't normally use KEY 1 and KEY2 as only one of them will work.

You need KEY1 and KEYGND (the key earth) for a complete circuit.
chrisring

AstroBoy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:27 pm Hi

The Androd Head Unit does not have a "key ground", only typical chassis ground. It has key1 and key2 coming from the main power plug.
Both universal controllers I have tried have 4 wires- Pwr, ground, key1 and key2. As I said, each remote pod of the controller output sends a signal out either key1 or key2.
Are you suggesting I gang key1 and key2 from the controller together and connect them to only one (key1 or key2) on the head unit?
chrisring

AstroBoy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:27 pm Hi

As I think you were suggesting, I ganged key1 and key2 from the controller together and connected them to key1 of the head unit. Now all 10 keys function perfectly, and that goes for both models of controller I bought. Key2 on the head unit I capped off, and is unused.
So the problem was result of incorrect wiring instructions.
I suppose the purpose of key1 and key2 on the head unit is to accept signals from two different controllers, and the purpose of having key1 and key2 on the controller is to be able to control two different head units or other devices with one set of keypads. I am surprised I could not find this information anywhere on the 'net